Tuesday 25 June 2013

Crafting with Canon Creative Park

Welcome back to the last post in my series of Crafting with my Canon PIXMA printer! The other two posts can be found here and here.

Today I have 3 crafts to show you, all made using templates on the Canon Creative Park website. I love the variety of paper crafts available there, and the instructions are really clear too. You just have to make sure you're using the right paper (I used Canon MP-101 Matte Photo Paper) and with a scissors, penknife and glue in hand, you're good to go!

I chose to make this wood grain perpetual calendar because I love how classic and timeless it looks. It wasn't tough to make, but you need to be very precise when cutting the lines - I used a penknife!


This calendar can be used year after year because of the clever mechanism on the back that allows you to adjust the month and the calendar alignment.


The top mechanism is for adjusting the month, and the bottom for the general alignment of the calendar. Pretty cool eh?


The coolest thing has got to be that it's made entirely out of paper. Yup you heard me right. Just paper, some cutting and glue. Ta-da!


Look at this cutie! It's a Ragdoll cat that's made entirely of paper as well. This one was a little tough to construct as there were so many curved surfaces to glue, and as you can tell, my cutting wasn't very precise. Not for beginners!


More shots of my cat. I love how 3-D it is, and it looks like it would make a great gift for an animal-lover friend. The bottom is hollow, by the way!


Lastly, I made a lovely gift-worthy 2013 Craft Calendar! It's in the shape of cows and folds in and out like an accordion, so it's pretty portable. The hard part about making this was the insanely intricate cutting required for the birds on the cow. Those were rather difficult to cut well, but I survived!


The calendar folds out like that, and for each month there's a different design on the cow's body. Lovely, isn't it? It took quite a while to make due to all the cutting and glueing involved, but it was totally worth it to see the result. I will probably give this away to a lucky someone as I already have the other Perpetual Calendar.

It didn't take that long to make these three crafts, but be prepared to spend at least half a day cutting and glueing things together. If you like working with your hands, it would be a joy to spend the day just doing paper crafts and constructing increasingly more intricate pieces of paper craft. I'm eyeing the Pegasus, musical instrument and city models on the Canon Creative Park website, but I'll definitely have to improve on my skills before attempting those.

I've had a really fun time crafting with my Canon PIXMA printer and I'm definitely recommending everyone to try their hand at paper crafting. It's a really soothing and rewarding activity as long as you have enough patience. Handmade crafts like these are also great as personalised decor and gifts for your loved ones; the simple instructions on Canon Creative Park and Canon PIXMAtown make paper crafting a breeze! If you're not so good with your hands, you could check out PIXMAtown first as the templates and instructions are much easier to follow than the ones on Creative Park. If you're up for a challenge, go ahead and explore Creative Park - it's an amazing place!

Do check out what the other Craft Gurus have done, and thanks to Omy.sg for this awesome opportunity!

Rachel loves sharing about the beautiful things in life from different perspectives. She writes on beauty and lifestyle in Cherchez Beauté , and does more abstract stuff on Antelune . When she's not writing, she's playing with her dog Holly, doodling and reading fiction. You can follow her on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram .