Monday 3 June 2013

List of Interestingness: Volume I x 2

ART/PHOTOGRAPHY



Here are some of my personal favourites from "flying stuff", a project by Clique-Chique. Words from the artist herself:

My flying stuff images basically started out as Instagram posts. It is absolutely fascinating to see what kind of shape an object or liquid gets when it is 'flying'. Clicking at exact the right second most often brings the most spectacular and surprising results. Most of them are shot with iPhone but I started to practise with bigger guns too :) 

FILM



Philips Cinema - Parallel Lines

“there are millions of ways to tell a story, there’s only one way to watch one”

This 21:9 Production series features 5 incredible short films containing the same six lines of dialogue but with extremely diverse storylines. This one is called The Gift and it is by Carl Erik Rins.


FASHION


A blast from the past - fancy some 60s couture?

These images were sourced from Dover Publications. You can sign up for a free weekly newsletter that includes a number of image samples - I love their Victorian image samplers and the steampunk ones aren't shabby.


HUMOUR

Recently there was this hilarious AskReddit thread that asked: 
"If girls were the ones that said cheesy pick-up lines, what would they be?"
Here are some of my personal favourites, and you can hop on down for more:

  • Had a girl tell me she needed help getting a creepy guy off her back. Wanted me to pretend I was her boyfriend. Even made out with me. Turned out there was no creepy guy. It was her way of picking me up. We ended up getting married.
  • For valentines: Happy Alentines day, I'll give you the v later. A waitress told me this one.
  • So it was my birthday and the guy I was dancing with made a comment about him being my present. My automatic response was "Does this mean I get to unwrap you?" Girls say cheesy pick-up lines, too.
  • I was at a Hawaiian-themed event years ago. Girl came up to me, said, "I could be those flowers you're wearing." Dense old me replies wittily, "huh?" She answers, "a real nice lei."


LITERATURE

(Source)

I've read Fahrenheit 451 before, but I've never seen such a stunning and effective tribute to one of Ray Bradbury's most famous novels. Elizabeth Perez designed this unique version to include a match and striking paper along its spine, making it effectively flammable (if you used the match along the spine, of course)

In a supremely brilliant twist of irony, Fahrenheit 451 is a dystopian novel set in a future where books are outlawed and firemen burn houses than contain them. The story is about suppressing ideas, and about how television destroys interest in reading literature.

(Adapted from The Fire Wire)


MUSIC



Song: Elle Me Dit
Artist: Mika

This is my favourite song for a fun time. It's just equal parts funny, ridiculous and feel-good, and the video is one of the funniest MVs I've seen in a while. Also, the dancing teenage girl is pretty hot.


MUSINGS

"A man sets out to draw the world. As the years go by, he peoples a space with images of provinces, kingdoms, mountains, bays, ships, islands, fishes, rooms, instruments, stars, horses, and individuals. A short time before he dies, he discovers that the patient labyrinth of lines traces the lineaments of his own face." -- Borges, Afterword to The Maker

Rachel loves sharing about the beautiful things in life from different perspectives. She writes on beauty and lifestyle in Cherchez Beauté , and does more abstract stuff on Antelune . When she's not writing, she's playing with her dog Holly, doodling and reading fiction. You can follow her on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram .