Sunday 3 March 2013

Amethystory Mineral Yogurt Mask Review and Pictures

What is as edible as it is good for your skin?

There are many answers, but the answer for this post is... yogurt! I'm sure many of you have heard of home-made and store-bought yogurt masks that claim to brighten and smoothen the skin. I've never actually tried making my own yogurt mask (I would probably lick it off my face), and neither have I tried a store-bought one with a cream/gel consistency that's akin to the texture of yogurt.

Until the Amethystory Mineral Yogurt Mask came along!

Amethystory Mineral Yogurt Mask

Recently, I was given a chance to try out this yogurt mask when The Sample Store kindly sent it to me for review. I've seen Amethystory products around in Watsons, and have been curious about their effectiveness, so this was a good chance for me to test out their mineral yogurt mask.

It is common knowledge that yogurt is healthy for the body as it contains pro-biotics that help to maintain a good balance of bacteria in your gut. But apart from this, what benefits can it provide for your face?

Yogurt 101
Firstly, yogurt contains Alpha Hydroxyl Acid, a natural lactic acid that can help to smooth rough, dry skin and prevent premature aging such as fine lines. AHA also helps to soothe, soften and tighten the skin while gently dissolving dead skin that accumulate in the pores. Secondly, yogurt has a high nutrient content and natural antibacterial and antifungal properties that prevent infection.

Amethystory Mineral Yogurt Mask

Amethyst Mineral Yogurt Mask uses these properties and combines Amethyst, Tranexamic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid, Bio-Energy Fluid, Ginseng and Olive Oil into a nourishing facial mask.

Active Ingredients
These are the purported benefits of the active ingredients:

Amethyst
  • Enhances skin rejuvenation and cell growth to produce smoother, more supple skin
  • Promotes collagen synthesis that creates a more radiant and youthful look over time
  • Promotes efficient detoxification to reduce daily stress by producing a small, detectable magnetic field that emits beneficial infrared radiation and ions that enhance circulation, promote anti-oxidation and encourage skin cell regeneration

Tranexamic Acid
  • Effective in counteracting melanin growth to fight dark spots and lighten complexion
  • Promotes an even complexion
  • Improves dull skin tone for a fairer complexion

Hyaluronic Acid
  • Provides intense hydration and retains water in the skin for a youthful and supple look

Bio-Energy Fluid
  • Contains ample minerals and trace mineral elements to nourish skin for a softer and brighter complexion

I mostly agree with these claims as I've read up on Amethyst and Tranexamic Acid enough to know that they do fulfill the functions stated. As for Hyaluronic Acid, it's a very popular ingredient used in all sorts of skincare products these days due to its intense hydrating properties. I'm not sure what exactly "Bio-Energy Fluid" is, but we'll skip that for now.

Ingredients
Let's take a look at the ingredients list now:
Water, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Cyclopentasiloxane, Olea europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Limonia acidissima Extract, Citrus grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Panax ginseng Root Extract, Tranexamic Acid Acrylamide/Ammonium Acrylate Copolymer, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin Laureth-7, Hydroxyethycellulose, Yogurt Powder, Amethyst Powder, EDTA, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Oxide, Calcium Oxide, Magnesium Oxide, Fragrance CI 60725, Methlisothiazolinone

Phew. That's a long list. The active ingredients are in purple. I can't help noticing that most of them come near the end of the list, which means they're less in quantity compared to the rest of the ingredients. Looks like it doesn't contain as much Amethyst as I thought it would considering the name of the brand! Granted, Amethyst powder is probably very expensive, so let's move on and find out if the Amethystory Mineral Yogurt Mask lives up to its claims.


Claims
It claims to be able to brighten, moisturise and soften the skin and even help to achieve fairer skin with regular use.

Amethystory Mineral Yogurt Mask


How to use
After cleansing, gently massage an adequate amount onto the entire face. Leave the mask on for around 15-30 minutes to allow the nutrients to be absorbed into the skin. Then rinse off thoroughly.

Amethystory Mineral Yogurt Mask


My experience

Amethystory Mineral Yogurt Mask

The mask, as you can see, is of a light cream consistency (almost gel-like) and is link pink in colour. It smelled of fruit yogurt (yummy!) and I felt really tempted to eat it (I didn't).

I followed the instructions and applied the mask after cleansing and toning, leaving it on for 30 minutes.  I liked that it didn't feel heavy on the skin at all, and felt soothing. After about 10 minutes I noticed tingly sensations on my face. I'm not too sure why, but perhaps the mask was working its magic? At that time I was more concerned about whether it was an allergic reaction to the minerals.

After 30 minutes, I rinsed off the mask. A thin film of mask seemed to remain on my face, which I suppose would be absorbed into my skin overnight. My skin tone did not look significantly brighter but I was willing to wait overnight for effects to take place.

The next morning, I noticed that my skin felt baby soft to the touch, and did look a little brighter. I also did not have any allergic reactions or red/sensitive spots on my face, proving that the mask was non-comedogenic for me. I can't say if this mask will help to achieve fairer skin because I haven't used it for long, but I'll do an update if I notice whitening effects over time.

As a whole, I'm quite pleased with the mask as it was very moisturising and did smoothen and soften my skin. There was a slight brightening of skin tone that would probably be more noticeable with long-term use. The best thing is that it did not break me out! I would probably continue to use it as a moisturising and brightening face mask, and I love how my skin feels super soft the next morning after I use it.

I'd be interested to try out other Amethystory products to test their efficacy as this one left a good impression on me. Have you tried Amethystory products? What do you think of them?


Let's Break It Down

Product Name: Amethystory Mineral Yogurt Mask
Product type: Face mask
Amount of product: 60g
Price per product: S$18.90
Comments: Moisturising, brightening, softens skin, effective overnight mask, yogurt-based
Where to buy: Watsons
To buy or not to buy: If you want a little pick me up for your skin (especially for those with dry skin, as this product contains fruit oils) and love yogurt, this mask is for you.

Product Approved 3.5/5

Disclaimer: I received this product for review. My opinions are completely honest and 100% my own. No compensation was received for this review.

Rachel loves sharing about the beautiful things in life from different perspectives. She writes on beauty and lifestyle in Cherchez Beauté , and does more abstract stuff on Antelune . When she's not writing, she's playing with her dog Holly, doodling and reading fiction. You can follow her on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram .