Saturday 7 February 2015

Things I've Learnt; Things to Come


IMG_0733 

I'm a month late, I know. Before I get on with the new year over here, I want to talk about 2014. I had planned to write a retrospective post but life happened and somehow I just didn't feel like posting anything up. It's been a crazy year. I finished my thesis, graduated (for the last time), visited Australia for the first time, and got a job in November. I also went through really bad anxiety, insomnia and had vision/balance problems, but all that only served to make me an overcomer, and I feel renewed as I walk into 2015.

Some of you are probably expecting a "10 Things That Every 20-Something Should Know" or "10 Resolutions That You Should Keep" post, but let's face it, you don't need any more clickbait. In the spirit of sharing though, I've decided to share my personal epiphanies from 2014. This is partly to set the tone for this blog for the new year, and also to chronicle the milestones in my life. I'll try not to sound like a Buzzfeed article, heh.


Things I've learnt

  • Let go of the bad stuff at your own pace. 2014 taught me to let go of the past and move on to better things. I've also learnt to be less hard on myself when I find it difficult to move on. Simply acknowledging the hurt/wistful feelings and letting them pass allows me to move on in a less stressful way.

  • Gratitude is the key to happiness and contentment. There's no greater joy-killer than envy and comparison. Everyone has their own journey to walk in life, so there's no point comparing someone's highlight reel with your behind-the-scenes. I don't need much to be happy - just being grateful for the blessings I have in my present will suffice. Although I still fall prey to comparison from time to time, I remind myself that only I can fulfill my own destiny, and so I'll just try to be the best version of myself.

  • Technology is a double-edged sword. I knew this all along, but rang especially true in 2014 as I reflected upon the effect social media and the Internet had on me. Social media stirred up feelings of envy, particularly when I was feeling down. The Internet sometimes became an obstacle to achieving better things in my areas of interest. It's also, ironically, the way that I'm conveying these thoughts to you, so make of that what you will.

  • Your parents are frequently right. It's the absolute worst feeling for me. I used to argue with them for hours and now I realise they were right about many things. Obviously they aren't right about everything, but I've been taking their advice to heart way more than I used to. It's also the best feeling in the world to feel like you're becoming friends with them.
  • Who you become depends on the people you know and the books you read. A very wise man said this recently, but it's also something I've realised for myself. Junk in, junk out. Surround yourselves with friends who will build you up and help you become a better version of yourself. Read books (and articles) that will help you get where you want in life.

As Chinese New Year is arriving, I'll be doing some spring cleaning (both of my room and of my head). I'll likely make a few resolutions that I won't keep, but I'm trusting that this year will be a blessed year that's better than the last. I'm thanking God for the year ahead - it will be glorious!

Peace and love,
Rachel


Rachel loves sharing about the beautiful things in life from different perspectives. She writes on beauty and lifestyle in Cherchez Beauté , and does more abstract stuff on Antelune . When she's not writing, she's playing with her dog Holly, doodling and reading fiction. You can follow her on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram .